District 11 Mentor Program
1. To offer guidance and support for transfer, new, young and/or inexperienced officials.
2. To facilitate the introduction of “new” District 11 basketball officials to SCBOA assignments.
3. Improve referee retention, morale and on-court skill.
1. A “new” official is a District 11 basketball official with 4 or less years of experience officiating high school basketball or is a transfer official from another state/district.
2. A mentor is a District 11 basketball official with 4 or more years officiating high school basketball
1. Minimum 1 contact per week either phone call or email between Mentor and Mentee.
2. If possible, sit near each other at District 11 meeting.
3. Work a scrimmage together (coordinate with Jake)
4. Be willing to accept the role as a Mentor (Give Back)
MENTOR ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Be encouraging, supportive, and facilitating.
2. Share ‘YOUR” first experiences and how you overcame and learned.
3. Motivate new official to improve knowledge base and skills.
4. Use “positive” reinforcement” techniques.
5. Maintain the “Keeper of the Game” image. Be a worthy officiating example.
SUGGESTIONS TO ASSIST MENTEE:
1. To obtain official uniform and accessories.
2. To access and use Arbiter properly.
5. Ask Mentee what he/she wants to accomplish/set short-term goals.
6. Have a conversation about their family, job, etc and vice versa.
7. During the season, discuss upcoming games and assist with directions, where to park, dressing room location, etc.
8. MAKE A COMMITMENT TO A MINIMUM OF ONCE PER WEEK CONTACT VIA EMAIL OR PHONE!